Friday, February 12, 2010

Back From the Hospital Again......

Yep!! Another hospital stay!! Just for a couple of days this time. Kaden went to the doctor on Monday and his blood pressure was 137/102. That was high enough to send us packing to our room which the doctors had ready for us at Hurley. I was kinda glad we were at Hurley instead of Detroit. I do like Detroit better than Hurley but man, it sooooo disrupts our life when we have to stay sooo far from home. Our doctors are kinda fifty-fifty. Half of them are Detroit doctors and half are Hurley doctors. We cant really help it. Hurley doesnt even have pediatric nephrologists or audiologists so we are kinda split between the two hospitals!
Our hospital stay was pretty quick. Kadens blood pressure meds were readjusted and he had a 24 hour EEG ( to check for seizures) and a upper endoscopy ( to check for ulcers, a side effect of the ACTH). The BAD news----- the seizures are back. I kid you not the very first day he was off of the ACTH we noticed some weird rolling of his eyes. By the second day I saw it happen many times. I knew in my heart they were back. I really didn't need a EEG to tell me that but I guess the doctors do. They aren't huge crazy seizures or nothing...... they just involve the eyes. Sometimes his eyes roll downward and kinda shake for a few seconds and sometimes they roll back into his head for a second and he may do this 3 or 4 times in a row. What can I say.................We tried. That medicine (ACTH) was pure torture for him and us!! And we knew it would come with a price...... but we had to try it. Other wise we would have always wondered if it would have worked. I am happy to say that with everyday he has not gotten a shot its like he has come back to life!!! We saw him smile for the first time in almost 2 months!!!! He is feeling so much better!!!! He has regressed in the last 2 months. He is very floppy. He has pretty much no head control, but hopefully we can gain some ground soon!! Nothing to do but to look ahead............... with that being said..........we are on to the last option for seizure control. The ketogenic diet. We will see the neurologist from Detroit on this soon. So until then I will take a deep breathe, and be thankfull..................thankful we are out of the hospital, thankful I am back home with my other kids, and thankful for a smile!!! And to all you wondeful people who have been cookin up a storm for my family- thank you so much! It really does help so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment